Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

Andy,

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your argument. The articles on evolution, in
my reading, say that characteristics which have functional advantage will
tend to be selected because they improve the odds of survival. The notion of
teleology in evolution surely implies that there is a specific direction to
development: so that if we know the laws of the teleology we can predict
what characteristics will appear next. It's true that we explain the color
changes of the chameleon (and the survival of such creatures) in terms of
the purposes they serve. But we can't explain the *evolution* of those
characteristics, their appearance in, at first, a few mutated individuals,
in terms of any function or purpose. You wrote that we can't explain "how it
comes about" that chameleons change color in non-teleological terms. In my
view, how it comes about is explained in terms of natural variation, which
is a non-teleological process.

I was mainly responding to your statement that "teleology is objective and
exists whether we or anyone else knows the end or not." I am probably still
misunderstanding the Hegelian notion of objectvity: what I took you be
saying is that there is a teleology to nature, to the universe as a whole.
You cited Hegel:

"In a similar way. the passions of men satisfy themselves; they develop
themselves and their purposes in accordance with their natural destination
and produce the edifice of human society".

...and it was the notion of a "natural destination" that I was questioning,
specifically Ilyenkov's apparent claim that we *already know* the "objective
laws" of this natural destination.

Martin

On 1/24/09 7:34 PM, "Andy Blunden" <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> [...]
> dogmatism - we are all part of the same totality. If you
> deny any continuity to the billions of human lives, then how
> do you avoid absolute relativism, Martin? I accept, BTW,
> that totality is also relative, so can we leave "grand
> narrative" and "totalising" out of it, as these are actually
> distinct issues. You can have a notion of totality without
> subordinating every part to the whole absolutely.
>
> Andy
>

> Martin Packer wrote:
>> Andy,
>>
>> As always it's taking me a while to translate from Hegelian to English!
>> Starting with point 2, it's by no means obvious that evolution requires
>> reference to teleology:
>>
>> <http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/teleology-biology/>
>>
>> ...even with chameleons:
>>
>> <http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080129125524.htm>
>>
>> ...so I'll stand by my assertion that the view that there is a teleology to
>> the universe remains at best a hypothesis. And when you say
>> "teleology...exists whether we or anyone else knows the end" are you
>> suggesting that knowing that teleology exists is enough for someone to say
>> that they know the "objective laws" of the universe? We certainly don't know
>> the ends, I would argue we are not at all certain that there is a teleology,
>> and furthermore I don't think we are clear on what basis we could validly
>> make such a claim.
>>
>> Regarding your point 1, you seem to be saying that human knowledge is
>> objective (in the Hegelian sense, and perhaps for Ilyenkov too) because it
>> is (part of) knowledge of the absolute. But this seems to me to beg the
>> question - it *assumes* that there is an absolute of which our knowledge is
>> part.
>>
>> The claim that there is a journey with a defined end, even if it is one we
>> don't know - no, *especially* if it one we don't know - seems dangerously
>> relativizing. If we destroy the environment, that's okay, because it's all
>> just part of the big plan. I don't need to take any action, because things
>> will work out in the long run.
>>
>> But perhaps the more dangerous version is the claim that we *do* know the
>> ends of the journey. At least a few of us do, the enlightened ones. We have
>> true knowledge, we are the masters of history.
>>
>> It's not that an appeal to teleology invokes a Divine Architect, but rather
>> that the appeal to teleology has the *same effect* as the appeal to a god
>> who guarantees that our knowledge "conforms" to the things themselves, and
>> who guarantees that our actions (but not the actions of those who we must
>> oppose, perhaps destroy) coincide with the grand plan. I see more clearly
>> now why Hegel's system as been called onto-theology.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> On 1/23/09 11:07 PM, "Andy Blunden" <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:
>>
>>> OK, as I read you, Martin, so we are on to different issues
>>> here: (1) can knowledge which is relative be nonetheless
>>> objective. And you also raise in relation to the Hegel