Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

If you put two mirrors together at 90deg, Mike, you can make a non-inverting mirror. I don't get your point.

The thing that the analogy of mirror *does* do for me is that the image a mirror makes is in no way in the mirror; the mirror has nothing; and if it does (e.g. a crack) it corresponds to distortion (pathology). But in no sense is a mirror image is literal copy of a thing; it produces in the viewer's mind a copy of what the sight of the thing produces in the viewer's mind. So if it's a literal copy, it is not of the thing reflected but of the viewer's image of the thing reflected.

Andy

Mike Cole wrote:
What seems clear beyond all the subtleties here is that a literal copy
theory
of reflection is unacceptable and is widely recognized as such.

One thing no one has noted. The only thing we know for sure about a
reflection in the mirror image sense is that left and right are reversed.
:-))
mike