Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

Eric,

It seems to me that a cognitive model needs to satsfy two criteria. First it
has to have what one might call face validity: the model has to resemble the
phenomenon it is modeling. This model, in my view, doesn't do this. To pick
just one example, it presupposes that each of us is constantly asking
ourselves the question, Am I okay? That's not my experience, for sure.

Second, a model has to function, it has to operate. A clockwork model of the
solar system has to actually make its little planets turn. A computer model
has to actually go through its distinct steps. This model doesn't do this
either. For example, it starts with a loop. That's fine: computer programs
have continuous loops. But if they are to ever exit the loop they have to
continually test the state of some register of information. This model asks
a question, but there is no indication of how it comes up with an answer.
When I ask myself, Am I okay?, I presumably check with the state of my body,
or the opinions of people like my doctor. An adequate model needs to include
these elements too. This model leaves out all reference to 'external' data,
and so I can't agree with you that it provides an unambiguous explanation.
What we have in the text, as a result, is a continual appeal to *both* the
model *and* the person that it supposedly replaces. We're told that people
"use" the model.

But more importantly, contrast this kind of 'explanation' though cognitive
modeling with the excellent account that Steve has just provided of the
exchange between Obama and Roberts. Steve starts with his overall "sense"
(understanding? empathy?) of what was going on (or going wrong) in their
exchange, then justifies this through an utterance-by-utterance
interpretation of their interaction that identifies the moments when each of
the 'mechanics' of conversation occured: the interruptions, hesitations,
repairs, negotiations.

Here we have an analysis of action that is possible only because the event
was video-recorded and so 'fixed' as an object which we can all examine and
discuss, even though none of us was present as a first-person observer. I
too, the first time through, thought that Obama had bungled the lines. But
the transformed temporality of a video - the fact that we can replay it,
even view it in slow motion - gives us the opportunity to understand it
*more correctly.* (At the same time we should bear in mind that most people
haven't had this opportunty and so the "bungling" interpretation may
linger.)

Steve's analysis makes tacit use of, and appeals to, our common knowledge of
the character of the event and the persons involved (chief justice [child of
justice as Ageliki wonderfully put it]; president-elect) and the official
text of the exchange. He analyzes the problems that came up in the
interaction, the 'decisions' that each participant made along the way, and
moves to an attribution of causality ("the culprit") in the form of a
preposition misplaced by the chief justice. This enables him to make
grounded claims about the personality or character of the participants:
Obama's capacities as a leader, his self-awareness, composure, sense of
occasion and humor.

To me, this kind of explanatory account has much more power than any kind of
hypothetical mental model. It appeals to what is *visible* to any speaker of
English. It builds its case upon public evidence, contestable at each step.
And it is an explanatory account of *action* - intelligent action in a
social setting.

Martin