Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

Derek, I have been wanting to ask you about your thoughts about how aspects of human behavior that can only be comprehended through empathy are therefore inaccessible to science. Assuming, for the sake of discussion, that you are right, that empathy is a necessary component of accurate observation and understanding, why does employing empathy exclude doing science? Marx said (something like) "nothing human is alien to me." That attitude isn't "empathy," strictly speaking, but it is certainly on the way. Not that it is an easy or automatic thing to do, but why do you seem to feel that we **can't** learn how to use our powers of empathy in social science?

- Steve