Re: [xmca] Applicability of CHAT to US society

Without getting into mediated action + activity vs activity as unit of
analysis,
Peter, the way I interpreted your remarks re doing this kind of work in US
vs
Finland was this with respect to Yrjo's work.

Research on organizational change of the sort Yrjo does is usually done in
the US by management consultants who do it in a short period of time for a
lot of
money and come in as experts to tell people what to do.

Yrjo's group goes into situations for the longer (sometimes long) haul and
(ideally) provides a method by which those involved (many ambiguities about
workers vs managers etc of course need to be addressed and often are not to
my satisfaction) can analyze systematically their own situation and come up
with answers in at least a semi-systematic way without imposition of answers
from the outside.The method is iterative (ideally) and becomes a mode of
institutional reflective thought. This is VERY difficult to arrange for in
the US.
It can still be arranged for, sometimes in some places in Finland.

Many other issues in Yrjo's talk that are worth discussing. Unfortunately,
the man himself appears unable to participate.
mike