-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Peter Smagorinsky
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 2:32 PM
To: langandlit; lego; 'Hillocks'; 'eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity'; 'Fred
Smagorinsky'; 2007-0SLFELLOWS@listserv.uga.edu; 'CEE Summit II'; docs; meds;
tappp2000; TAPPP2001; tappp2002-3; tappp2003-4; TAPPP2004-5; TAPPP2005-6;
tappp98; tappp99
Subject: [xmca] save forests/cut junk mail

I'm writing to alert people to (1) the damage done to the environment caused
by the production of catalogues, and (2) a way to cut back on catalogue
deliveries whether you care about trees, birds, etc. or not. (My apologies
to those who receive this who are not North Americans.)

There's an article at
http://www.audubonmagazine.org/features0901/habitat.html that details the
ways in which Canada's boreal forests are decimated in order to produce
those catalogues that, if you're like me, you discard without opening. (The
forests are also logged for other paper products, but at least we end up
using facial tissue, etc.)

At the end of the article you'll find the following, which leads to places
where you can register to have specific catalogues discontinued from
delivery to your address. It's a minor inconvenience to register your
customer number with each company, but if it works, I think it's worth it.
I've begun a registry with https://www.catalogchoice.org/login , although
it's too early to report back on how effective it is.

There's a growing clamor for a Do Not Mail system similar to the Do Not Call
registry. A dozen states considered Do Not Mail legislation in 2008-though
none have passed such legislation-and more than 70,000 consumers have signed
an electronic petition asking Congress to create such a registry. For more,
go to  <http://www.donotmail.org/> Do Not Mail. Do not mail services are
also offered by  <http://www.catalogchoice.org/> Catalog Choice,
<http://www.directmail.com/> DirectMail.com and
<http://www.optoutprescreen.com/> OptOutPreScreen.com.

Again, my apologies to those for whom these issues hold no interest. Peter