Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

Martin,
Just one quote :
[[Mind arises at a certain stage of the evolution of life not
by chance out of necessity.i.e. naturally . But in what does
the necessity of its origin consist? Clearly, if mind is not
simply a purely subjective phenomenon, and not just an
'epiphenomenon' of objective processes, [but a property that
has real importance in life] , the necessity of its origin
is governed by the evolution of life itself . More complex
conditions of life require an organism to have the capacity,
to reflect objective reality in the form of the simplest sensa-
tions. The psyche is not simply 'added' to the vital functions
of organisms, but arises in the course of their development
and provides the basis for a qualitatively new, higher form
of life-life linked with mind, with a capacity to reflect real-
ity.
This implies that in order to disclose the transition from
living matter that still has no psyche to living matter that
has one, we have to proceed not from internal subjective states
by themselves, separated from the subject's vital activity,
or from behaviour taken in isolation from mind, or
merely as that through which mental states and processes
are studied, but from the real unity of the subject's mind
and activity, and to study their internal reciprocal connections
and transformations.]]
Here we read there was a time when the organism faced *undifferentiated* flat environmet ; in his A,C,P ,  Leontiev also alludes to the idea of environment once having been *objectless* for the organism , then at a higher stage having faced *object-based differentiated* environment .
If I'm right in my reading , first the rustling in the environment triggers the frog to be led then to the food direct (insect) . This is when Leontiev says need is not sufficient clue to activity ;  it must hit an object .
The other problem with your *dualism* vs *monism* is explained as follows :
Leontiev says at one time in evolution , it's not been the case that the organism has been  able to see the thing once ; the image of that thing twice . He has seen just one . Here we face the idea of the extension of matter . In his book Lenin says quite clearly extension , time , place , causality are intrinsic to the Matter . Monism says the superhuman existence is the extension of **matter** . These are not two but one and and the same thing .
Decartes , Hume , you well know had a different problem in view . They believed in so-called one  SOULED-body . Soul having been incarnated , as Andy says , in the Air and detachable capable of leading independent life  This is Dualism . But when you believe in *Mind* being just a *property*  of matter , then philosophical dualism is eliminated . And here is again where I could say when you initiate with *culture* as one agental transformative , we object as you placing yourselves just midway ignoring *continuity* disconnecting culture from its whereabout/origin .
Best
Haydi