Re: [xmca] Passages from Chapter 5 of LSV

It's another occasion when access to the Russian original for "discarded"
would be helpful. After all, Vygotsky wrote of sublation as both destruction
and preservation. My sense when reading Minnick was that when he wrote of
Vygotsky trying out and rejecting a series of candidates for unit of
analysis, one might instead see Vygotsky as exploring a complex totality,
bringing first one aspect and then another to the fore. He wrote that "When
the word sublation is used in relation to some organic feature, this does
not mean that this feature is eliminated. Instead, the feature is sublated
and preserved, embedded somewhere within; it recedes into the background,
yielding to those regular features which arose at later stages.² This seems
to me true *in* V's account of development (where reflexes are not
eliminated but embedded) and *of* V's account of development, where a unit
of analysis isn't abandoned but moves into the background as another moves
to the foreground.

Martin