[xmca] sumerian classroom

From: Peter Smagorinsky <smago who-is-at uga.edu>
Date: Wed Dec 31 2008 - 05:48:14 PST

The following might help to clarify the origins of the Sumerian classroom
discussed a few weeks ago:

From: Denise Schmandt-Besserat [mailto:dsb@mail.utexas.edu]

The classroom is from Mari in Syria. It was excavated by Andre Parrot,
probably in the 1930s.The site was sacked by Hammurabi (1792-1750 BC) which
gives a date in the 18th cent. BC.

I understand that the new team of French archaeologists excavating Mari
doubts that the room is a classroom. I like to keep with the first
interpretation. The jars held the clay destined to be shaped into tablets. I
hope this helps.

You will find PDF articles in the 3 first stations of my web site on
Writing, Counting and Ain Ghazal. Let me know if this does not work.