Re: [xmca] Synchrony or entrainment (was reciprocity continued)

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Mon Dec 22 2008 - 16:11:44 PST

?? Paul -- It was you who sent a note that read:

i think it's an overgeneralization. Reciprocity, as defined in Mauss' "The
Gift", would not fit the mother-newborn relationship. I don't know exactly
how that could be seen as an economic system of exchange. The "gift" (don)
involves obligations to return the gift.

You tell me, do newborns (or even newborns fifteen years later) fell the
obligation to return the gift? Does the mother suckling her new born
consider the act to be a gift from which she expects some form of "return"?

To which I responded. At that point, the "thread" was 68 messages long on my
gmail account (always hard for me to figure out how various message get
wedged in) with many irrelevant items tossed into their midst. So I picked
on
reciprocity. I misread read it, I guess, as the topic of your sentence in
telling
me that I was indeed overgeneralizing.

And now I guess I was just chaining. Did everyone get the two papers I
thought in my delusion were relevant? And of course, anyone is welcome
to continue this under the prior rubic of habitus and need!

mike