Re: [xmca] Passages from Chapter 5 of LSV

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Dec 21 2008 - 13:44:12 PST

I'll postpone a discussion of what constitutes an experiment, David. My own
belief is that LSV was conducting experiments, whatever Bakhurst thinks that
NSF would think of his work. But glad to see Goldin-Meadow's work appear
here. I attach a more recent article that may be of interest. She has a lot
of recent work on gesture and language acquisition in hearing kids which is
quite interesting, as well.

Note: These kids are all raised in culturally organized, language rich
environments where the language being used around them, but not the
gestures, not the behavioral routines and rituals, are all available to
their
sight and in which they participate. It is even the case that, in general,
their
parents care a lot about their welfare, however misguided their behavior
with
respect to language acquisition.

Hence, they experience a culturally organized environment, so to speak,
"through a glass, darkly" which is a lot better situation that imagined
total
isolation imagined by Herodotus and others of whom similar stories are told.

The case of the blind-deaf, which so interested David and his Russian
mentors (and us all) presents a much tougher case, and look at what it takes
to get language going in that situation?

The very disturbing case of Genie is another bit of evidence relevant to
this
line of discussion.

Send more rain!
mike