Re: [xmca] Job at UCSD Communication Dept

From: Hendranus Vermeulen <hendranus who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Mon Dec 01 2008 - 05:09:49 PST

Dear Mike Cole

I would like to ask your advice and assistance regarding my application for
the assistant professor position in "Communication and the Person" at the
University of California, San Diego Department of Communication.

I received my PhD "Learning in Virtual Worlds" thesis' examiner reports on
28 October 2008. The reports are very positive and recommend some
constructive improvements to be made. I have been on a hectic deadline at
Dervico (http://www.derivco.co.za/) the online games company where I was
working. Completing my PhD and pursuing an academic career is of utmost
importance to me. This prompted me to resign the beginning of November. I
completed the one months notice on Friday. I will now be able me to give my
full attention to reviewing my thesis and "Activity Cell Transformation"
manuscript.

I understand the review of applications for the "Communication and the
Person" position will continue until the position is filled; however, I
would like to apply sooner rather than later. The review of applications
will begin 8 December 2008. My application is therefore somewhat premature
as a PhD and publication are pre-requisites. I am hoping to be considered
with the pending PhD and manuscript.

I am confident that I will be awarded my PhD early 2009, as the Doctoral
Degrees Board has agreed to award the degree once the suggested amendments
are made. However, I am hoping to bolster my application with valuable
references. Jay Lemke, one of my PhD thesis' external examiners, has kindly
agreed to be a reference for my application. I had also written to Michael
Roth in this regard. He suggested that you might know people who are
familiar with my work and who I could approach to be references.

Do you know of anyone I could approach to be a reference for my application?

Thank you
Hendranus Vermeulen