Re: [xmca] Allan Luke on Race and Language as Capital -- part 2

From: Jay Lemke <jaylemke who-is-at umich.edu>
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 08:26:43 PST

One of the mysteries of human cultural differences is how often
difference is interpreted morally. The way we do things is good, the
way you do things is bad. So we are good and you are bad. So go away,
become like me, or I'll shoot you.

A pattern repeated for thousands of years across many (though not
quite all) cultures. Exceptions occur when societies mutually decide
that they need the Others, and we get tolerance based on self-
interest. Or when one society and its culture is so dominant that it
tolerates Others as amusing pets.

One hears that in some places .... parts of India, Hawaii, aboriginal
Australia ... and times, mutual tolerance, or even disinterest in
differences (what differences? who cares?) have been the norm. Or
where a modus vivendi has evolved historically by which groups do not
so much mingle (no inter-marriage, for example) as just get along by
keeping to themselves except for commercial relationships (a version
of the tolerant self-interest pattern?)

It might be worth trying to figure out what are the conditions for
people to not morally reject cultural difference as evil.

I've just read some very tragic and angering (yes, me too) news
stories about Afghan islamic fundamentalists attacking girls' schools
(and the girls and women teachers) violently because of their
religious perception of the evil and culturally corrupting practice of
educating females. Not that the same thing didn't happen in the West
in a time not so long ago, nor mutatis mutandis in the US for
educating African (ex-) slaves. But that's the point.

So it is not surprising that people react viscerally and negatively to
everything from the speech of the Others, to their dress, to their
music, to their hygeine, to their practices of doing this and that,
including in schools and classrooms. It does seem a crime, though,
under these conditions for the state to put such people in charge of
the education of Other people's children.

And all for the sake of what? a homogeneous consumer market? a unified
nation state under a single governmental rule, enforcing the same
laws, beliefs, norms, values, customs for tens or hundreds of millions
of people?

How many of us really gain anything from that model of human society?
or the form of "education" that seems to go with it?

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor
Educational Studies
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
www.umich.edu/~jaylemke

On Nov 25, 2008, at 4:47 PM, ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org wrote:

> [...]
>>> essentialism. The idea of the nation-state, the ideal of
>>> democratically
>>> setting single unified policies for massive numbers of diverse
>>> people and
>>> communities ... is itself part of the problem, not a framework for a
>>> possible solution.
>>>
>>> And so, finally, to the recommendations.
>>>
>>> Accurately and fairly recognise and evaluate the cultural capital
>>> that
>>> students bring to school ...
>>>
>>> But by whose standards? according to Bourdieu, those standards are a
>>> function of where we sit, and the dominant standards are those
>>> defined by
>>> sitting with a lot of money and power. How can there be ANY
>>> universal
>>> standards for doing this, no matter how critical or well-
>>> intentioned? not to
>>> mention that the value of cultural capital is RELATIVE to a social
>>> field ...
>>> change that of the school and the evaluation changes. Shift to a
>>> non-school
>>> setting for an internship or apprenticeship, it changes again.
>>>
>>> Change the lingua franca of the school field:
>>> Change the regulative rules of interaction in the school field:
>>>
>>> Both are probably better than doing nothing, but which other
>>> languages are
>>> to be accepted as legitimate in the school? in many urban settings
>>> throughout the world, there are multiple non-dominant languages in
>>> the same
>>> school. And making the change in the school does nothing about what
>>> happens
>>> outside the school. Shall we put to a vote to make discrimination
>>> anywhere
>>> in society based on language a crime? (I'd do it, if it would
>>> pass.) Think
>>> through the consequences. And as to changing the regulative rules
>>> (which
>>> means things like how discussions and learning are socially
>>> organized within
>>> the school or classroom), this works well in some case for a
>>> specific
>>> cultural model, but what again when the classroom has multiple
>>> cultures and
>>> their preferred models of learning and interction represented? You
>>> can't
>>> change from one hegemonic practice to another and be ahead inthe
>>> long term.
>>> (Though it's nice to make the dominant group kids suffer
>>> briefly ... or is
>>> it?)
>>>
>>> Revise the curriculum:
>>>
>>> Yes, let's dump the canon and try not to replace it with
>>> another ... and in
>>> the multi-cultural setting (and multi-gender, sexuality, age,
>>> class, etc.)
>>> if everyone gets their five minutes of curriculum time, we have the
>>> most
>>> superficial and useless possible curriculum. The problem is not the
>>> curriculum. It is having a universal curriculum at all. It lies in