Re: [xmca] Scholarly community

From: <TVMathDude who-is-at aol.com>
Date: Thu Oct 30 2008 - 21:51:18 PDT

Elina,

for me, a scholarly community is built around the depth of a discussion and
the insights contributed by the members. When I approached a colleague [
philosophy professor ] last week about having to reread Kant's Critique of Pure
Reason before delving into Schopenhauer's The World as Will and
Representation. He chose to share insights into the reasoning structure of each and
encouraged me to share my experience with him. He asked why I had chosen Will and
Representation. When I remarked that I was looking for a better understanding
of the role of language and intention in the act of learning, he said, "let's
find some time later to talk about what you find."

I believe that scholarly should not be limited to what is published as
research. It needs to include the sharing of fundamental observations or insights
that can instigate research.

Roger
**************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
5 Travel Deals!