Re: [xmca] Is there something about Roza Smekhova?

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Mon Oct 27 2008 - 21:01:08 PDT

Achilles

For enlightenment, see Benjamin and the Agelus Novus.
For confusion, try a Non novus. (My latin is, ugh. a little iffy).

That history is pretty deep in the mists created by the kgb and the
cia and and a variety of journalists, memoirests, and academics. It
is a fascinating topic; in a way that was what we tried to discuss at
ISCAR in the symposium where we discussed different interpretations
of the Vygotskian tradition (including precursors, contemporaries, and
followers, in different countries at different times).

At present we have a unique situation where many "next generation" Russian
psychologists have been able to experience deep immersion in "Western"
psychology while experiencing, at least a little, of the cold, dark, heavy
hand
of their past that was their parents's version of "living in interesting
times."

With all of its manifest weaknesses, the fact that it affords at least some
serious
discussion of the core ideas flowing from the Russian/Soviet tradition, the
German, French, English and other European traditions, American traditions
connected to pragmatism, the unique contributions of Asian and what is
often referred to as Latin America (the Portuguese and indigenous speakers
rightfully cringe), is one of the frail virtues of xmca.
mike