[xmca] Fwd: [Air-L] job posting

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 16:57:07 PDT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: qCentral/Mary L. Gray <qcentral@indiana.edu>
Date: Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 4:37 PM
Subject: [Air-L] job posting
To: air-l@listserv.aoir.org

Please distribute (sorry for cross-postings)

Faculty Positions in Social Informatics at Indiana University
http://informatics.indiana.edu/hiring

The Indiana University School of Informatics seeks to fill one junior and
one senior position in Social Informatics starting in August 2009. We define
Social Informatics as study of the ways in which social dynamics and
contemporary information and communications technologies (ICTs) mutually
shape each other. We wish to hire scholars who are excellent researchers and
teachers and who will provide substantial leadership in furthering the work
we have already begun in developing our new interdisciplinary field.

The School of Informatics at Indiana University is the first of its kind and
among the largest in the country, with a faculty of more than 80 full-time
members<http://www.informatics.indiana.edu/people/faculty.asp>, 182 doctoral
students<http://www.informatics.indiana.edu/people/phd.asp>, 312 master's
students<http://www.informatics.indiana.edu/people/grads.asp>, and nearly
400 undergraduates majoring in either Informatics<http://
www.informatics.indiana.edu/academics/undergrad.asp> or Computer Science<
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/Academics/undergraduate/programs/> on the
Bloomington campus. Indiana University is home to the Rob Kling Center for
Social Informatics<http://rkcsi.indiana.edu/>, a campus-wide center that
supports social informatics research across multiple disciplines. IU offers
a vibrant environment for innovative work in research and teaching.

Successful candidates will hold a Ph.D. in a relevant field and will build
on or complement our current areas of interest, which include: collaborative
and community knowledge practices (e.g., free/libre and open source software
projects); comparative methodologies for social informatics; ICTs and
development; gender and technology; history of ICTs; political dimensions of
ICTs; privacy and security in pervasive technologies (especially
health-related applications); scientific work practices; science,
technology, and society (STS); technology and social change; and technology
and culture. We encourage applicants that link to other areas of strength
within the School of Informatics, including Complex Systems, Computer
Science, Human Computer Interaction and Design, Life Sciences, Music, and
Security Informatics.

The School of Informatics offers excellent work conditions including low
teaching loads, attractive salaries, and world-class computing<
http://www.iub.edu/compute/>, networking, and library facilities<
http://www.libraries.iub.edu/>. Located on the wooded, rolling hills of
southern Indiana, Bloomington is a culturally thriving college town with
moderate cost of living. It is renowned for its top-ranked music school<
http://music.indiana.edu/>, performing and fine arts<http://iub.edu/arts/>,
historic campus<http://www.iub.edu/tour/>, food tourism<http://
www.visitbloomington.com/listings/index.cfm?catID=5&notify=1&ContentID=44>,
cycling traditions<http://
www.iusf.indiana.edu/Events_Programs/Little_500.html>, active lifestyle<
http://bloomington.in.gov/parks/>, and natural beauty<
http://www.visitbloomington.com/listings/index.cfm
?catID=4&notify=1&ContentID=42>.

Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae, a statement of research and
teaching, and the names of three references (six for associate and full
professors) using the online application form<http://
www.informatics.indiana.edu/hiring/apply.asp>. Supporting materials can also
be sent to:

Chair, Faculty Search Committee
School of Informatics
919 E. 10th Street
Bloomington, IN 47408
E-mail: hiring@informatics.indiana.edu<mailto:hiring@informatics.indiana.edu

Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position
is filled.

Indiana University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Applications from women and minorities are strongly encouraged.

________________________
Mary L. Gray, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication and Culture
Affiliate Faculty
Gender Studies Department and American Studies Program
Indiana University
800 East 3rd Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
ph. 812/855.4379