Re: [xmca] Papers for discussion: HIV, interventions and activity theory

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Tue Oct 21 2008 - 03:40:34 PDT

RSA is a country where social movements are still alive in a
way in which they are no longer in many other countries, and
people know how to run a social movement, Mary, so it is
probably worth continuing research in that direction. There
is the motivation of the group and their existing social
power. I guess if the two came together, we wouldn't have
the problem in the first place. But I do think you have to
work from the social group that is motivated to act, first
of all. If that's the grandmothers, then so be it.
Grandmothers can be a powerful group.

Here in Victoria, there have been a number of quite
successful campaigns funded by the Health budget, against
dangerous driving, smoking, obesity, unsafe sex, ... over
several decades, and the general belief is that people are
not afraid of death. It is better to tell a boy that smoking
gives them bad breath and girls won't want to kiss them than
to tell them they will die of lung cancer.

On the use of Peircean semiotics in this context, see:

http://www.ethicalpolitics.org/blackwood/addiction.htm
http://home.mira.net/~andy/works/politics-fear.htm or
http://home.mira.net/~andy/works/cult-safety.htm
http://home.mira.net/~andy/works/semiosis.htm