[xmca] My ISCAR

From: Dot Robbins <drobbins72000 who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Oct 13 2008 - 09:43:42 PDT

Dear xmca supporters, (Sorry this is late)
A big thanks to Olga for her untiring work with ISCAR. I loved being at ISCAR in San Diego, and appreciate everything that was offered. Olga’s kindness and support will never be forgotten, especially with all of the problems I encountered with technology. I do believe that ISCAR in San Diego was a big success, and the closing party was simply wonderful.  And, I am so extremely happy that Marilyn Fleer is the new President of ISCAR (Director for the Centre for Research into Childhood Studies, and Program Leader for Primary and Early Childhood Education at Monash University in Australia), and Michalis Kontopodis (a young scholar from Greece living in Berlin) as Secretary.Well, I wanted to mention a couple of works I found to be very interesting at the last ISCAR (some this is on Moodle at http://moodle.id.ucsb.edu/login/index.php):

*Fernanda Liberali and her team from Brazil. They are working so hard in the Brazilian “favelas,” with the poor, and I believe their work is something we will get to know collectively, as well as their deep connection to both Lev Vygotsky and Paulo Freire. She is listed various times in the abstracts.

*Peter Moxhay could not attend ISCAR. His paper: “Assessing the Scientific Concept of Number in Primary School Children.” A very important paper in the tradition of Davydov. I am sure Peter will send it to anyone interested.
*Janna Glozman, Moscow Research Center of Developmental Neuropsychology.  (www.children-psy.ru) I have visited this center a number of times, and have been so impressed with the way that Alexandra Soboleva (Director) and her colleagues work with children with all types of difficulties. I have been especially impressed with the physical approach to therapy, beginning with movements reflecting the post-birth process, building up to very technical physical exercises and coordination movements; moving to the cognitive side of therapy, using methods such as the School of Attention…..it represents a truly holistic approach to therapy.

*Holbrook Mahn, “Vygotsky’s Analysis of Unit “System of Meaning.” Holbrook places his thoughts within a “system,” which is so important. An important paper for “thinking and speech.” His paper is on Moodle.

*E. Sokolova, “Integration of Psychological Knowledge in Dialectical Psychology: Possible Approaches.” Clearly, we need to start to think more about Dialectical Psychology, and she speaks of many things, but instead of the opposition of consciousness and activity, she looks at the opposition of representation and process, and unity. Her report, along with reports from Sasha Surmava and Lev Naumenko are important. Sokolova’s powerpoint is attached.

* Michalis Kontopodis, “Enacting Human Developments: From Representation to Multiplicity.” An excellent paper.

Best to all,
Dot
P.S. Feel free to write off line for more specific information.