Re: [xmca] [Fwd: Conference Query]

From: Mary K. Bryson <mary.bryson who-is-at ubc.ca>
Date: Thu Sep 04 2008 - 09:31:23 PDT

Thanks, Emily and Mike.

My point is pretty simple. I am <like you?> dolorously busy. In relation to
ISCAR, I was asked to come and give a talk at a conference organized around
themes of "Diversity" then I would like to see a little bit of
theory-practice fit.

There's an Index, and there's an Itinerary. That means that we are only one
hour of secretarial time away from a complete program, because anyone,
someone << I am right here, right now, publicly volunteering to put it on a
wiki if you just give me the information >> someone just needs to fill in
the blanks on the Itinerary marked, say, Session 6, that don't at present
tell you the session Title or the speakers names. But the Itinerary doesn't
list what you need to know. And worse, keynote speakers ARE named, which
enacts a class differentiation that is distasteful, given that we have all
read Marx, and have been asked to attend a conference where such things
matter, at least nominally, and where we know that such things matter a
great deal more.

I am just reading aloud the writing on the wall here. I consider this to be
part of my job. I also know no one likes to read emails like this, but
sometimes, silence is not helpful.

Mary

--
Dr. Mary K. Bryson, Professor and Director, Network of Centers and
Institutes in Education & Center for Cross-Faculty Inquiry CCFI, Faculty of