Re: [xmca] déjatel’nost’

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Sun Aug 31 2008 - 11:42:42 PDT

Hi Andy,
I am not trying to give you advice. I am talking about my own
experiences of having struggled.

One of the things Marx criticized his contemporaries for is that they
looked at value abstractly. He wrote Das Kapital as a concrete
analysis of value, its one-sided expressions in use-value and
exchange-value, and how these concretized themselves in possible
cases. Any time I want to think about activity abstractly, I get into
trouble, which resolve themselves when I take concrete cases of
activity and work them through, culturally and historically. I then
realize that activity concretizes itself very differently, the
activity of schooling is very different in U.S. suburbia then it is
in inner-city neighborhood schools in Philadelphia. Not when I do an
abstract analysis, but when I go concretely into the nitty-gritty
details of everyday life in the schools.
Cheers,
Michael