Re: [xmca] On "Leading Activity": Once Again, Lenin and Vygotsky

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Thu Aug 28 2008 - 12:21:27 PDT

Hi David,
why not go to Alexei Leont'ev and see him concerning the notion. As
far as I can see, he uses the term leading activity or leading plane
when he takes about instruction---in the German version of Activity,
Consciousness, Personality, where there is an additional chapter that
does not appear in the English version, and he gives concrete
examples what happens when you change activity to actions and what
and how students learn, expansive learning in the sense that Klaus
Holzkamp advocates it (he was a close reader of Leont'ev)
        The second way in which he talks about leading activity is when he
describes development from the single cell to human culture (in
Problems of the Development of Mind). Here, development FOLLOWS
activity, that is, as in the analogy of artificial neural networks,
participating in activity PRECEDES development. This is also why it
does not make sense to say that students participate in ZPD and THEN
transfer to the intra-psychological plane. Participation REQUIRES
that the intrapsychological plane is active---a reading that people
like Felix Mikhailov and others seem to produce.

Cheers,

Michael