Re: [xmca] The Strange Situation

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Fri Aug 15 2008 - 20:48:27 PDT

Well, I think those are very astute observations, David. We
reveal the truth about something maybe first, speculatively
or philosophically, and then we verify our speculation
experimentally, but in our tradition, the experiment is
already the third level, by practically helping someone or
resolving a problem. An "experiment" which is not aimed at
solving some problem that arises from real social practice,
does give *meaning* to our concept, but it cannot go so far
as to justify the reification of this insight into the claim
that *some thing exists*.

In reading Mike's "Cultural Psychology" what came across
strongly to me was that these kind of
scientists+experimental_subject situation can never really
prove anything. But if you can set up some sort of "school"
in which actually solves a real educational problem, then
you can claimed to have proved that something exists, i.e.,
is a real part of a real historical form of human life.

I think this is the limitation of Sakharov's
double-stimulation method. It is not enough.

I think you are right, David.
Andy