Re: [xmca] The power of internalization is overwhelmingly pervasive

From: Elinami Swai <swaiev who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 05 2008 - 14:13:26 PDT

Michael et al. Thank you for a very interesting discussion. I think it
is possible to achieve power without making others powerless; and
impossible to achieve power amidst the powerless. If a father fights
his four years old daughter, we cannot say he has power because power
can only be measured against power, not against powerlessness. I don't
see how one can achieve power by bullying. A powerful teacher is the
one who empowers her/his students. His power emanates from, as you
said, the respect from students and learning outcomes. Bully teachers
are feared, they make their students internalize anger, resentfulness
and it is hard for them to learn in such a relationship. Her/his
power/powerlessness can be measured against the achievement of her/his
goal.
Elinami

Dr. Elinami Swai
Womens' and Gender Studies