Re: [xmca] is Leontiev (1983) available in English?

From: Steve Gabosch <stevegabosch who-is-at mac.com>
Date: Sun Aug 03 2008 - 09:33:22 PDT

David Kellogg kindly wrote me offlist with a better idea about which
Wertsch volume had a Leontiev chapter:

He said:
*******************
I think it's this:
       Leontiev, A.N. (1979, 1981). The problem of activity in
psychology. In Wertsch, J.V. (ed.) The concept of activity in Soviet
psychology. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe.
      But this seems very similar to Chapter Three of Activity,
Consciousness and Personality to me; there are minor differences,
which might just be due to retranslation.
      As I understand it, Activity, Consciousness and Personality was
ANL's attempt to develop a theory of personality. There is a rather
different Leontiev book, called Problems of the Development of the
Mind (1981, Moscow: Progress), which I found somewhat more
representative of the man and his oeuvre.
************************

Yay! So there is another book by L. in English. I thought so. In
fact, we studied from this one in 2003 (he says, wiping away some
mental cobwebs). It was two chapters in section II of Problems of the
Development of Mind - the famous hunters and beaters example of
activity is discussed in this chapter 2. (Activity, Consciousness,
and Personality, was discussed in 2000 on xmca.) The book is not in
print, of course, but there are some extracts online, courtesy of Paul
Ballantyne, links below. The Wikipedia entry on Leontiev carries
these links, btw. We studied this material in a version from the
original book itself - I printed out pages 157-273, all of section
II, but that is all I have. Chapter 1 in this section offers a look
at the depth of Leontiev's work in evolutionary zoopsychology, aka
comparative psychology, which was an important basis of his theory of
human activity and consciousness. I was looking at it tonight in part
to find clues to understand differences between animal and human
communication, as part of the discussion of the difference between
signals and symbols.

http://www.comnet.ca/%7Epballan/Leontyev1981chapt1.htm
Extracts from: Leontyev, [Leontiev], A.N. (1981). "The problem of the
origin of sensation" (pp. 7-53). In Problems of the Development of the
Mind. (Trans. M. Kopylova) Moscow: Progress Publishers.

http://www.comnet.ca/%7Epballan/Leontyev1981chapt2.htm
Extracts from: Leontyev, [Leontiev], A.N. (1981). "An outline of the
evolution of the psyche" (pp. 156-326). Problems of the Development of
the Mind. (Trans. M. Kopylova) Moscow: Progress Publishers.
On this site there is also an excellent, very helpful and succinct
summary of Leontiev's approach to comparative psychology, and how it
connects to his work on activity and the human psyche.

The Comparative Psychology of A.N. Leontyev (U.S.S.R.), by Charles W.
Tolman http://www.comnet.ca/%7Epballan/Leontiev.htm

One thing I notice as I skim over this Leontiev material again was how
dense and difficult it seemed a few years ago, but now it seems much
more readable, now that I have a better idea of where ANL was going,
and perhaps, of some of the limitations of, and constraints on CHAT in
his generation. But whatever "shortcomings" one may see - and they
are always important to see - and easier to find in hindsight! - such
as his discussion of animal communication, which does not (because it
couldn't) take into account important recent findings, such as monkeys
that have alarm sounds for different kinds of enemies (from above or
below, for example) and chimps that can talk to humans (and each
other!) using human taught sign language - despite any of this kind of
shortcoming, or others, ANL's writings played a huge role in rounding
out, updating, and codifying first generation CHAT work in way that
made 3rd generation CHAT possible, and that alone makes him important
to study. I think the proposal to conceptualize Vygotsky and Leontiev
as co-leaders of the general CHAT lineage over the course of a first
and second generation was a brilliant and constructive one.

I think we will also see more Luria appear in 3rd generation CHAT,
which I think we are still very much in, as scholars discover ways
that his cultural-historical methods in neuropsychology offer insights
into how to understand recent discoveries in brain science - in
cultural-historical, and not just biological and medical ways. As I
see it, Luria, like Leontiev, also left many clues for how to tap 1st
generation CHAT, and use the cultural-historical method to its
fullest. Luckily, some of Luria's important work is still in print in
English. But are there other important Luria books and articles out
of print, or never translated?

Is there any chance the Leontiev material in the three 2005 Journal of
Russian and Eastern Psychology issues Dot mentions will appear in a
more accessible form? And the book idea Dot mentioned looks like the
perfect way to get ACP back in print. That would be remarkable to
interview Dmitry, as well as include the A.A. material from the 2005
Russian book, and have three generations of Leontievs, and Sokolova,
represented in a new English translation. And while I am tooting the
horn of getting seminal CHAT work in English and in print, as many
know, Engestrom's 1987 Learning By Expanding also needs to be back in
print in English!

- Steve