Re: [xmca] Play to Art: Experience to Insight

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane <ana who-is-at zmajcenter.org>
Date: Sat Aug 02 2008 - 22:54:46 PDT

Dear Steve and all,

Sorry for the rather long delay. Many things are happening at the
moment, and although I read your inspiring comments at the time you
posted them, they are so complex and, as you said elsewhere call for
writing a whole book or two, that it is difficult to address them all.

I like the way you teased out the six possible mediated relationships
between the ME:TOPIC:YOU "troika". It is very much something I had in
mind.
I also envisioned the recursive process in which every successive
comment changes the relationships between the three elements and in
that way changes them, too. This process creates a history -- and it
could be a personal history (as the example with J. and foo-foo is my
personal history) and also a public history -- built into the concepts
preserved in language as word meanings.

I want to address one more time the difference between signals and
symbols. Both are mediating artifacts since they are used to create
joint attention and focus on a specific topic. But I see a great
difference in the processes that they invoke. Signals are indicators
of objects, states or events that are present and given. A drop of
rain, sound of footsteps on the stairs, red light on the corner,
raised hair on my cat's neck or barking of my dog, etc. Signals POINT
to physical or even to nonphysical "object" (red light signals a rule:
"STOP!")
They are for sure an important way of communicating and making
meanings. And, yes, animals are capable of understanding them and
using them, too! The difference is that when you use a signal -- it
either means something or nothing -- immediately -- it signals a
presence of an object or a situation ("Danger!"). There is no
"interpretation" -- it cannot mean something else!
So if I tell my dog, for instance, the name of another dog from the
household, my dog will look around expecting to see the other dog. But
if I just say to you, for instance, "Mike" -- you would probably
expect me to say something about Mike. You might ask me "What about
Mike?" You would expect to hear something ABOUT the new focus I gave
you. In other words you would expect a COMMENT that would DO something
to the TOPIC and change the relationships in the ME:TOPIC:YOU troika.
But if I exclaim "Red light!" while you are driving, you would
probably not ask me "What about the red light?" but react to the
actual situation (preferably by stopping) -- Although it does change
your behavior -- and signals are meant to do that -- you would not
LEARN anything about "red light", nor would the relations in the
ME;TOPIC:YOU be changed -- they would just be reinforced!
Of course, if I said "red light" -- right now in our conversation over
Internet, or even face to face, having a pleasant social gathering,
you might again think of these words as symbols and proceed to expect
me to say something ABOUT "red light". (Is it about traffic? Is it
about developing photographs? Is it about the age of a star? Is it
about prostitution?).
Symbols, thus, have this quality of not only "pointing" (referring)
to entities, but giving them a special perspective - and not always
the same perspective. I think that this is because of their ability to
absorb past COMMENTS and hold them for future re-use. In other words,
the relationships created and changed throughout their History, are
part of the collective memory and that is what makes them ARTIFACTS.

What do you think?

Ana

Dr. Ana Marjanovic-Shane
ana@zmajcenter.org