Re: [xmca] is Leontiev (1983) available in English?

From: Steve Gabosch <stevegabosch who-is-at mac.com>
Date: Fri Aug 01 2008 - 08:33:10 PDT

Thank you, David. It does appear that the 1978 version in English is
the same as the 1983 in Russian. Yes? For some reason that didn't
look obvious to me before, as it does on a second look. I had access
to a printer and lots of paper for a while and printed the 1978 from
LCHC all out to study. We read it as part of the 2003 xmca course. I
know a bit more now (that is an understatement - CHAT was totally new
to me back then - that course was a total eye-opener) and I would get
a lot out of another reading of that book.

The MIA site also has that book online - an intro, 5 chapters, and a
conclusion. I think the LCHC site took the MIA version and put it in
html, pdf, etc. formats.

Here is how the MIA site cites the original source, which is out of
print:

First Published: 1978
Source: Activity, Consciousness, and Personality
Publisher: Prentice-Hall
Translated: Marie J. Hall
Transcription/Markup: Nate Schmolze
Online Version: Leont'ev Internet Archive (marxists.org) 2000

The other Leontiev writing you mention that is on LCHC, and is also
MIA, the 1978 article Activity and Consciousness, may be different
from the 1986 Russian article that Anna cites.

MIA cites its source for "Activity and Consciousness" as:

Written: 1977;
Source: Philosophy in the USSR, Problems of Dialectical Materialism;
Publisher: Progress Publishers;
Transcribed: for marxists.org by Nate Schmolze;
Proofed: and corrected by Andy Blunden.

This seems different from:

> Leontiev, A. N. (1986). Problema dejatelnosti v istorii razvitja
> Sovetskoj psihologii [The problem of activity in the history
> of Soviet psychology]. Voprosi Psihologii, July-August, 109—119.

Is it?

A little rummaging on Amazon.com reveals a hardback Recent Trends
Soviet Psych (1978), by James W. Wertsch (5 used copies available,
$122 up) and what is possibly a softcover version, Trends In Soviet
Cognitive Psychology, 1981, by James V. Wertsch, (no copies
available). (The V. is correct). A quick search on Alibris.com
didn't turn up either of those books, or the Leontiev 1978, but there
are a couple copies of the 1977. I presume the Recent Trends book is
the one you are suggesting that the article Activity and Consciousness
is in Chapter Three of, yes?

For sure, we need Leontiev's writings already in English back in
print, and more translated and published. I wonder if there is
anything else in English by Leontiev we might be able to get on one of
these sites in the meantime.

- Steve