Re: [xmca] Russian for "Lines of Development" and "Janet's Law"

From: bella kotik <bella.kotik who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 23:53:08 PDT

Based on LSV's idea Luria elaborated the concept of "extracortical
organization of cerebral functions" which, I think, is an answer to your
discussion: usage of artifacts reorganize a specific brain function
developing new "functional knots" and this is a way of development of higher
psychological functions. Inasmuch as artifacts developed in different
cultures are somewhat different this is an incentive for development of
cultural neuropsychology. For more detailed review relevant to this
poster you may see the attachment.
Bella

On 8/10/08, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> I am way out of my area of expertise, but David, you are saying here that
> there are two different forms of memory? If you are distinguishing between
> artefacts and psychological functions I would agree that we have two
> different kinds of thing here, and maybe "different lines of development" is
> too weak a distinction. But if you are referring to two psychological
> functions, I think the comparison works, but I don't think you can see two
> different functions or entities of any kind, but rather two different lines
> of development (use of artefacts and recall) which intersect and merge.
>
> Andy
>
> David Kellogg wrote:
>
>> In the same way, I think that LSV and Luria use "natural" and "cultural"
>> lines of development not to tell the story of the descent of the higher
>> psychological functions but to draw a clear demarcation line between forms
>> of memory that are part of our biological endowment ("eidetic", as LSV calls
>> them, although we probably wouldn't refer to them that way today) and those
>> that are cultural "simultations" (e.g. writing). The two things are
>> functionally similar but genetically different, but then they fuse and
>> transform each other.
>>
> --

Sincerely yours Bella Kotik-Friedgut