Another way Re: [xmca] Fwd: we need more terms

From: Tony Whitson <twhitson who-is-at UDel.Edu>
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 14:38:09 PDT

Instead of this "Central Planning," model, there's another (more "free
enterprise") way of doing this.

We could encourage everybody to include keywords with their posts.
For example, David Kirshner's recent post could include "internalization"
and "appropriation" as keywords, or "tags". A longer tag might be
"sociocultural and activity theories" (for use in searches looking for
posts in which these two approaches are compared).

A protocol could be established that would enable software to identify
entries in the keyword or tag "field" within each post (for example,

  ##: internalization, appropriation

could be read as a field containing those two terms as keywords for the
post. This could be used both for "harvesting" the complete keyword list
from posts as they are posted, and also for indexing each post by its
included keyword. (Searches using keywords on the list would not be
limited to posts in which those terms are formally identified as "tags".)
This would be even easier in a web-based interface for entering posts in
this threaded discussion list, but it could work just using the email
interface, as well.

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Mike Cole wrote:

> Tony et ALL!!
>
> Etienne, who is supervising the effort to build the conceptual/memory
> facility into xmca, makes the following request. Please help by sending
> replyall so that Etienne is included and can act on the extra info..
> mike
>

> let's see if we can generate terms beyond this list:
>
> the more the better
>

> activity
> action
> agency