Re: [xmca] Play to Art: Experience to Insight

From: Steve Gabosch <stevegabosch who-is-at mac.com>
Date: Sun Jul 27 2008 - 09:03:00 PDT

As you asked, Haydi, I have been thinking about your thoughtful
comments. Thank you, they were appreciated. I agree with you that
there is a lot in Ana and Ljubica's paper to think about. I touch on
some things in their paper below.

On some of your specific points, one line of thought I have been on is
the evolution of CHAT through Leontiev and then Engestrom, comparing
features of their "2nd" and "3rd" generation activity theorizing.
Wolff-Michael Roth has a new editorial in the latest MCA, entitled On
Theorizing and Clarifying, which takes up, among other things,
differences between action and activity, a key theme Leontiev
stressed. Some of the questions you ask (motive, redundancy, what
mediates the subject and object, etc.) might be best discussed by
revisiting some relevant texts by Leontiev, Engestrom and others on
questions like motive and goals, activity and action, activity and
activity systems, mediation, tools/signs/artifacts, the role of
"social environment" categories such as rules, communities and
divisions of labor in production, exchange, distribution, and
consumption, the role of labour within activity and activity systems,
etc. Perhaps a paper will come our way that could help us create a
"common focus" on such questions (to play on a theme in Ana and
Ljubica's paper).

Another line of thought you provoked for me is over the ancient but
still very relevant subject-object problem. CHAT insists on the
object-relatedness of activity, yet at the same time, CHAT is
challenged to more fully account for subjectivity, intersubjectivity,
and the subject - singular and plural - in its work. I found myself
re-reading some relevant articles, some which we have discussed on
xmca, such as Michael's 2007 article on emotions, identity,
motivation, and emotional valence (a potential unit of analysis?), and
Anna Stetsenko's discussion of the need for CHAT theory to more fully
account for, incorporate, and research the externalization of
individual subjectivity, and the object-related nature of subjectivity
as a whole. I see new, exciting things happening in this arena of
studying emotions, subjectivity, intersubjectivity, subject-subject
relations, etc.

I have been thinking about the Marjanovic-Shane/Beljanski-Risti paper
in the light of the above, especially the "two kinds of relationships"
concept they bring up. I am wondering if there might be another way
to depict Ana and Ljubica's observations about mediation and subject-
subject relations while staying within mainstream "3rd" generation
activity theory.

I see the drawings as having a couple minor problems. They offer
triangular drawings that essentially depict these relationships:

1) subject ====> tool ====> object
2) subject ====> symbol ====> subject

I see a slight problem with 1) - it mentions tools, but leaves out
signs. "Artifacts" would cover both, so that is an easy "fix". I
think it is important to account for the fact that the subject in
relation to an activity object is mediated by artifacts that have both
materiality and ideality (or meaning). Some artifacts in a given
context function predominately as signs, and others in a given context
mainly as tools, but all artifacts have features of both tools and
signs in activity, and are both material and ideal (socially
meaningful).

Here is my suggested change to 1) (nothing innovative here):

1a) subject ====> artifacts (tools/signs) ====> object

And there is a little problem with 2) that I think needs attention -
it does not depict the joint, mutually confirmed focus of the
propositional act. It does not depict an object. I also note it uses
the term "symbol" instead of "sign." I suggest using the term "sign"
because, as I understand it, it is the more general case of "symbol,"
which can be considered a special kind of sign.

My suggested revision in 2a) takes into account the important fact
that the subject is plural - there are two subjects, an active subject
and a relational subject. And there is just one object, a joint
focus. Also, it is important, in my opinion, to depict that the
subjects are mediated by artifacts (tools/signs), as they always are
in any action or activity.

Here is a suggested revision, which aligns 2a) with 1a), and allows
them both to be depicted in the usual way on a "3rd" generation
Activity Triangle as everyday object-related actions:

2a):

subject #1 ====> artifacts (tools/signs)
                                                                              =
===> common object (joint focus)
subject #2 ====> artifacts (tools/signs)

In my opinion, these minor fixes bring the paper a little more in line
with mainstream activity theory, upholding the paper's stress on
mediation in all activity, yet maintaining the CHAT concept that all
activity and actions, including language-based actions, and subject to
subject relationships, are object-related.

At the same time, I do not believe these suggestions alter or dilute
any of the themes of the paper, which I think are important.

The two most significant themes in the paper for me are the joint,
mutually confirmed focus as a potential unit of analysis, and the
significances and uses of the alternation between the "play" frame/
chronotope and "reality" frame/chronotope in development and in social
discourse.

What especially interests me about the "joint, mutually confirmed
focus," as I am putting it, is that it does seem to have potential as
a basic unit of analysis of human meaning-making acts, in the sense of
being not just a useful act to "analyze," but a genuine concrete
universal that is present in the development of all human
communication (as in, meaning-making), historically and individually.

It appears that it could be the smallest unit of social meaning-making
that still contains the basic characteristics of the process, and it
appears it could be genetically fundamental in the development of
meaning-making behavior on the phylogenetic (species), historical
(sociocultural), and ontogenetic (individual) levels of development.

The phylogenetic possibility is, for now, speculative, unfortunately,
since we have scant information about exactly how humanity originally
developed its ability to share meaning.

The ontogenetic possibility could be empirically scrutinized and
critiqued in terms of developmental psychology research.

Historically or socioculturally speaking, if the "joint focus" act is
indeed a concrete universal, and could be the basic unit of analysis
of meaning-making, it should be evident as an essential and enduring
dynamic in the evolution of increasingly complex levels of human
meaning-making over time, from gesturing, to talking and listening;
myth creation, promulgation and learning; writing and reading;
participating in music concerts; producing and learning new software
applications. The persistence of this "joint focus" dynamic could be
empirically examined. It may seem obvious or self-evident that "joint
focus" is essential in any such examples, but it would be wrong to
assume so, based on simple deduction. Serious deductive **and**
inductive work is needed to justify the high level of generalization
that a concrete universal represents.

Like many concrete universals, such as the molecule (chemistry), the
cell (biology), value (modern economics), word-meaning (semantics),
and activity (human existence), "joint focus" is elegant in its
simplicity as a unit, yet complex and varied in its countless
permutations. It could become an important step toward better
theorizing the realm of the intersubjective, and better understanding
subjectivity. New concrete universals certainly don't show up every
day, so this is exciting, if it is viable. Is it?

Best,
~ Steve