Re: [Spam:***** ] Re: [xmca] Call for Proposals and Reviewers

From: Monica E. Nilsson <monica.e.nilsson who-is-at bth.se>
Date: Fri Jul 18 2008 - 13:28:31 PDT

Thanks -- yes it is very exiting particularly as I can see how the
use of multimodal tools make a difference for people. I will be
presenting a paper at ISCAR (in Ana's symposium) which (today ;-) is
titled "Development of Voice Through Creative Process and Multimodal
Tools in Digital Storytelling Activity." It is a case study (digital
stories by a 9 year old boy and a narrative by his teacher about him
and his production process) where I hope to show how, particularly,
image and music mediate the boy's creative activity and how he
develops "voice" not "heard" in the classroom before. I consider, in
this case, image and music simultaneously as aesthetic/artistic and
semiotic means and because of this dual nature it facilitates both
creativity (and thus learning) and communication. I find it very
exiting to put multimodality and Vygotsky's theory of imagination and
creativity into a dialogue. I also lean on Bruner's work on narrative
(storytelling in digital storytelling).

I am currently working with teachers in a project turning a, what is
called, Equality plan into digital stories. In Sweden every school
has to make a plan for how to work against abuse, sexual harassment,
bullying, etc. The plan, which is a written text, is composed by
teachers and regulated by national requirements. The students are
supposed to read it and embrace the message. However, the document is
often considered a “dead text”, that is, it contains words, carrying
little meaning to the students. In this project the Equality plan
will be transformed into digital stories within a framework of a
collective production process. I ask for example:

# What do the children tell in their digital stories and how is their
understanding of what is said in the Equality Plan represented?
# How do the children use different kinds of representation and
aesthetical forms of expression, among them, image and narration?
# How, verbally, is the interplay between imagination and reality
expressed in the creation of their digital stories?
# How do the students reflect on the activity involving the Equality
Plan and the creation of their digital stories?
# Based on the work of transforming the Equality Plan to digital
stories, what can be said, about the possibilities for meaning
making, communication, and learning – focusing on creativity and
imagination – that digital storytelling offers?

In my work I have also started to think about Vygotsky's
classification of creativity at different ages. He claims (as I read
it) that literary or verbal creativity characterizes the school
child’s activity. The literary activity follows stages where play and
drawing has dominated but comes before stages where theater and
dramatic creation is central.
But is this categorization valid today when we live in an era
characterized by a range of different forms of representations and
aesthetical forms of expressions and where the possibility of
integrating different kinds of representations due to information
technology is obvious? Digital storytelling constitutes one example
since literary forms of expression, in terms of narration, is
combined with visual, oral, musical, etc forms of expression. From
this perspective I perceive an exiting challenge in Vygotsky’s
discussion about different kinds of creative expressions at different
developmental stages. What is the implication in terms of creative
activity when a variety of tools with differing qualities are
available, which also can be combined?

If combining a socio cultural/activity theory approach and
multimodality can be considered a multidisciplinary project this is a
multidisciplinary project I hope to tell about at AERA..

Thanks for being interested,

Monica