Re: [xmca] RE: mental health

From: mktostes <mktostes who-is-at uol.com.br>
Date: Sat Jul 12 2008 - 07:36:55 PDT

Very interesting topic!
I certailny agree with the question of changing our social 'milieu' to
improve people's mental health and we could list lots of situations. From
personal experience, as my daughter is a little different from most people
and, at the same time, not diagnosed with any disease (she is anti-social, a
little depressive, she says she's bipolar, etc.), we feel the pressure of
others, especially family, who think she has to act and do the same things
others do, the same way others do. Well...
Now, thinking of mental health, health problems and art. I just remembered
that there is a group in Brazil at Unicamp in the Linguistics department,
working in conjunction with the Neurology department (I don't know if
Achilles knows their work) who work with aphasic people. It's called Centro
de Convivencia de Afasicos (CCA). They rely on Luria's work and, taking an
enunciative-discursive approach, they have meetings with the group once a
week and they have a dramatization session. CCA is a place for interaction
among aphasic and non-aphasic people (family, researchers and therapeuts).
It's a reaction to the exclusion these people feel in society and they try
to promote effective language use and action and routine activities.

You can check it out (in Portuguese, though) at

http://www.unicamp.br/iel/labonecca/centro_convivencia_afasico.htm

Art and feelings and the relationship with development has also been the
concern of our research group (GPPL) in the Education faculty.

Best,

Karin Quast