Re: [xmca] ISCAR travel question

From: Olga Vasquez <ovasquez who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed Jul 09 2008 - 09:59:38 PDT

David,

As Mike points out, transportation is a drag in
San Diego--actually all of California if not the
U.S. without a car.
But, here are some pointers for traveling from LAX to the UC, San Diego campus.

try this helpful guide from the ucsd website:
http://ogs.ucsd.edu/welcome/transport.htm

here is some other pointers:

1. Rent a car and drive. It's a straight shot
from LAX to San Diego down the 405, merging into
the 5. Two to four hours, depending on day of the
week and time of the day. TWO problemS: YOU MAY
hit Rush Hour traffic in both cities AND
THEN WHAT DO YOU DO WITH CAR ON CAMPUS--IT COST $6.00 A DAY FOR PARKING

2. The train: There's no Amtrak station
anywhere near LAX. You'll catch the Union Station
Flyaway to get to Union Station-- 20 miles away.
This can be as quick as a half-hour, or as long
as 90 minutes. Or more. Take Pacific Surfliner
will get you to Solana Beach. From there you
take a bus to UCSD if you are staying on
campus--it is only about 7 miles away.

here a quick answer from the Internet for bus between ucsd and lax.

take the 101 from UCSD (stops along gilman,
revelle, and along torrey pines across from muir,
marshall, and ERC) then take it to the solano
beach amtrak station. then take the amtrak to
union station, and from there take the metrolink
to whichever burb of LA you're from.

the 101 is 2.50$, but if you're a UCSD student,
you get this sticker on your ID so the fare is
free

23$ for the amtrak (fares vary by destination, so
solano beach to fullerton is a bit cheaper than
to union station)

1.25$ for the metrolink

so 27.75

3. for greyhound look above.