Re: [xmca] Vygotskyan approach to mental health - socio-genetic roots of mental diseases and psychotherapeutic semiotic mediation.

From: Katarina Rodina <katarina.rodina who-is-at isp.uio.no>
Date: Sun Jul 06 2008 - 11:18:56 PDT

Dear Achilles,

I recently mentioned Vygotsky's theoretical essay "The Problem of
Development and Dissolution of Higher Mental Function". I hope this might
ease the understanding of some of the basic ideas of Vygotsky's approach
to mental health...

Are you familiar with the Jewish-American Aron Antonovsky's concept of
sense of coherence and salutogenesis? This concept has some similarity
with Vygotsky: e.g. health- and resource oriented psychotherapeutical
approach, salutogenesis vs. pathogenesis and symptomatological oriented
approach to mental health.

Best regards from Katarina

On Sun, July 6, 2008 04:07, Achilles Delari Junior wrote:

> (12) From Achilles
>
> Vygotskyan approach to mental health - socio-genetic roots of mental
> diseases and psychotherapeutic semiotic mediation.
>
> “He (Vygotsky) did not believe in meaningless defect or retrogression:
> since the construction of the human mind follows a certain pattern, its
> destruction also cannot be arbitrary and therefore reveals specific
> rupture lines characteristic of the formation of the human psyche. That is
> why observations of the acquisition of language in the deaf-mute, concept
> formation in schizophrenics, and the rehabilitation of aphasics were for
> Vygotsky no less a part of developmental psychology than the sensory-motor
> behavior of the two-year old.” (Alex Kozuin, Vygotsky’s psychology –
> a biography of ideas, 1990 – p. 195)
>

> I want to study Vygotsky´s theoretical contributions to Mental Health:
> (1) mental diseases theoretical and methodological comprehension; and (2)
> therapeutics dialogical practices, in a cultural-historical approach. And
> I asked here on the existence of English translation from
> “Проблема развития и распада высших
> психических функций”, because I wish to translate it
> to Portuguese but not if it exists in English. Mike Cole suggests reading
> Luria, and Akhutina and Rodina. Very important suggestions, I will study
> Akhutina and Rodina, and search another references by Luria than the ones
> I have here (more in “classical science” style, than in the
> “romantic science” books, maybe the ones what I need, I don’t know).
> But, what more can you suggest to me about the “vygotskyan approach to
> mental health - socio-genetic roots of mental diseases and
> psychotherapeutic semiotic mediation”?
>

> Thank you very much.
>
> Achilles,
> Umuarama, July 5, 2008.
>

> (11) From Mike
> Luria-- Also check out Akhutina and Rodina article at LCHC. And ask on
> XMCA to see what comes up/mike
> (10) From Achilles
> I remember that there was a vygotskyan metaphorthat 'a building does not
> tumbling down, by anotherlaws that ones it was constructed' (not exactly
> this words,I quote by core)- maybe quoted by Kozulin, I don’t
> exactlyremember high now. Seems to me a important methodological
> principle, but I haven't seen much empirical work raised in it, in mental
> health historical-cultural research, if you could help me with this to, I
> will be very greatfull too.Thank you again, very much.Achilles,Umuarama,
> 04 July, 2008.
> (9) From Mike
> Yes, i firmly believe that.very important.mike
> (8) From Achilles
> Thanks...I had writed about my interest in othermail before read this.Do
> you think that 'raspada (desintegration) problem'can help us understand
> some questions to mentalhealth in historical-cultural
> approach?Achilles,Umuarama, July 4, 2008
>
> (7) From Bella
> [...]

Katarina A. Rodina,
PhD-Research Fellow/Logoped,MNLL
Department of Special Needs Education
University of Oslo
P.O.Box 1140 Blindern,NO-0318 Oslo, Norway
Phone: +47 22 85 81 38/Fax:  +47 22 85 80 21
E-mail: katarina.rodina@isp.uio.no
http://staffdirectory.uv.uio.no/singleview/v1/index.php?user=katja
Head of Russo-Norwegian Academic Relations,
The Vygotsky Institute of Psychology, Moscow
The Herzen State University in St.Petersburg