Re: [xmca] Exorcist Gov. signs La. anti-science law

From: Steve Gabosch <stevegabosch who-is-at mac.com>
Date: Mon Jun 30 2008 - 13:49:06 PDT

I appreciate you keeping us posted on developments in the creationism
vs evolution debate, Tony. I was not aware of this new Louisiana law.

Two things strike me as new and different in this so far successful
attempt to bring creationism into public schools. On one hand, the
law explicitly counterposes "critical thinking, logical analysis and
open and objective discussion" to teaching and learning "scientific
theories."

On the other hand, this law implicitly identifies religious and other
non-scientific beliefs with critical thinking, logical analysis, and
being open and objective.

What a fascinating - and very real and dangerous - example of turning
reality upside down.

- Steve