Re: [xmca] FW: SECOND NATIONAL AND FIRST INTERNATIONAL MEETING ON READING AND WRITING IN HIGHER EDUCATION

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jun 29 2008 - 09:40:34 PDT

Thanks for forwarding this note, Peter. Perhaps we can arrange some sort of
internet video interaction around this topic.

Locally we at LCHC have been fretting a lot about reading and writing in
higher education. The obstacles to serious efforts to improve the literacy
of our college students seem formidable and it would be really excellent to
have some new ideas about how to deal with these problems.

Even if nothing can be worked out for the Columbia conference, it seems like
something we might try to work on by inventing joint discussions among our
students as a part of course work where the courses correspond enough, say,
around certain key readings, to make reading/writing interaction a part of
course work.

mike