[xmca] Re: Speaking out

From: Lynda Stone <lstone who-is-at csus.edu>
Date: Tue Jun 17 2008 - 13:37:13 PDT

Hi All,

After receiving this email, Jackie Hotchkiss, my new site coordinator
found a
way for our sites to become part of a community that is *private* and
has the capacity for: a) discussion boards, b) blogs, c) videos,
e) pictures, f) communication [comment boards], and the capacity
for individual groups (limited to a specific site as well as for
multiple
groups. This looks like a great tool for collaboration/networrking
across sites. Because it is secure (only members have access), we
are planning on using this for next year as part of our program.

  Ning (www.ning.com) is the name of the social network that we're
planning
on using. It requires a master administrator but is very simple to
set up,
easy to change security levels, appearance, and over all layout of
the page--
the different tools (blogs, videos, etc.) are selected so that each
site is easily
designed based on individual needs.

I'm sending this info because YouTube is not secure and does not
allow for communication.
On the other hand, we could use YouTube, etc. to share those things we
think can broaden awareness of our program----

Let me know what you think---who knows we may be able to collaborate
more
easily with this program---and it's free!

Hope you all are having a great June!
Lynda

On Jun 13, 2008, at 11:20 AM, Mike Cole wrote:

> Kris and I have been speaking recently about speaking out -- About
> ways to communicate what we are
> doing that will get these sets of practices more widely accepted
> and supported. What follows is a
> representation of one of the manyt activities we engage with young
> people at a HUD cite here in
> San Diego. We had trouble uploading it to the tclearninglounge
> website, so at the suggestion of
> Ivan Rosero, she put it on Youtube and Ivan will create the linke
> from the Learning Center which
> is the center of these activities.
>
> The uploading is easy. And here is what a hard working UCSD
> undergrad in Communication may
> learn how to accomplish in a week or so of working with visual
> documentation of the activities.
>
> Seems like a really interesting potential pattern of collaborative
> mediation for this forum as well?
> here it is
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiowil1I6UE&feature=email
>
> mike
> PS-- What if every member of XMCA created a similar document. Think
> how much we would
> learn about each other?

Lynda Stone, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Child Development
California State University
6000 J Street
Sacramento, CA 95819-6139
Phone: (916) 278-4326 FAX: (916) 278-3348