Re: Disability? Re: [xmca] Help in teaching and learning maths

From: Carol Macdonald <carolmacdon who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jun 10 2008 - 08:02:15 PDT

Hi Shirley
I agree about being careful about people getting labelled as having a maths
disability. My understanding of much of what presents as a problem as a
phobic reaction or a block. We can survive a really bitchy language and
literature teacher, but there are lots of children who struggle or fail to
thrive with bitchy impatient maths teachers (who are good at maths and
intolerant of a lack of understanding). There is much else in the culture
to keep language and literature development going.

But I would think from our perspective, we would have to regard maths as
being encoded in a different way, at least partially from a different
sociocultural history. The concept of number seems to be human-specific (I
don't mean visual estimation of small numbers). Then past a certain stage,
maths starts getting abstractions and syntactic embeddings that start to
look like the things that professional linguists love to use in analysing
language--and such linguists are very thin on the ground.

I had a student do an M Ed on anxiety in studying statistics using CHAT, but
that was nearly 20 years ago, and we didn't have the conceptual tools that
we have now. I do remember very clearly when we did a role play and I asked
her to tell me the reasons for what she was doing in the steps of a
maths/stats task, and she got so anxious about it, that we had to leave that
out of the research.

But why does failure in maths carry so much more of a negative weight than
say, an inability to draw realistically or abstractly, for that matter? It
must have something to do with the status of maths and its pervasive use in
high status occupations; but there must be something about the nature of
maths itself, and as third order symbol system.

What do you think?

PS To get back to the original practical question, I think maths performance
is best enhanced by a good maths teacher in a one to one situation, building
up self-*confidence* at the same time as *competence*. Machines and
textbooks aren't likely to hone in the the zpd in the same way.

Visiting Researcher,
Wits School of Education
6 Andover Road
Westdene