Re: [xmca] Muslim Students in Education

From: Richard Beach <rbeach who-is-at umn.edu>
Date: Wed Jun 04 2008 - 13:34:31 PDT

Cathrene, the entire issue of Theory Into Practice, 47(1), 2008, addresses
issues related to immigrant students:

Bigelow, M. (2008). Somali adolescents' negotiation of religious and
racial bias in and out of school. Theory Into Practice, 47(1), 27-34.
This article explores the issues of race and religion as they pertain to
adolescent Somali immigrants and their lives at school, among their
families, and in their communities. Research from a number of contexts
offers a range of perceptions, held by Somali youth and adults, not commonly
available in the media. Multiple suggestions are offered to educators for
engaging youth in conversations about race and religion in ways that will
make Muslim students feel more welcome at school and help all students
understand racial and religious identity, as well as the harm that racial
and religious bias can cause.

Ngo, B. (2008). Beyond ³culture clash² understandings of immigrant
experiences. Theory Into Practice, 47(1), 4 -11.
This article addresses the ways in which the experiences of immigrant youth
and families in U.S. schools and society have been conceptualized primarily
as conflicts between immigrant cultures and dominant U.S. culture.
Exemplified by the discourse of culture clash or of immigrants being torn
between two worlds, this prevalent understanding structures the experiences,
cultures, and identities of immigrants as unchanging and fixed in time. This
article illustrates the ways that culture and identity are constructed
within the double movement of discourse and representation. It offers
examples of how dominant representations create simplistic understandings of
the identities of immigrant youth, as well as the ways youth are
constructing new identities.

Sarroub, L. K. (2008). Living ³Glocally² With Literacy Success in the
Midwest. Theory Into Practice, 47(1), 59-66.
This article examines the concept of glocality as a way to better understand
why immigrants, poor people, print-illiterate families, and boys are
short-changed by schools that often operate under a deficit model or
deprivation model in which students' economic, language, and gender status
is the main determinant for school success. The author offers for discussion
a set of themes that address (a) the challenges of recent immigration and
resettlement in the Midwestern region of the United States, (b) the concept
of glocality in connection to youth literacies and transnationalism, (c) the
Midwest as a glocal context, and (d) the implications of success in relation
to teachers and schools. Examples of glocality are drawn from research on
Middle Eastern youth immigrant and refugee populations from Yemen and Iraq,
as well as low socioeconomic American youth.

On 6/4/08 3:20 PM, "jmking1995@aol.com" <jmking1995@aol.com> wrote:

> Cathrene,
> Attached is a pdf of an article, also by Sarroub (2002) that documents the
> literacy practices of Yemini high school girls in the US.
>
> Jen King
>
> doctoral student
>
> University of Rochester

Richard Beach
Professor of English Education
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
359 Peik Hall, 159 Pillsbury Dr., S. E.
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN 55455
612-625-3893
Teaching Literature to Adolescents website
<http://www.teachingliterature.org/teachingliterature/>
TeachingMediaLiteracy.Com book website
<http://teachingmedialiteracy.com>
Engaging Students in Digital Writing website
<http://digitalwriting.pbwiki.com>