Re: [xmca] protocol on spelling: Leontiev, Leontyev, Leont'ev

From: Mary van der Riet <vanderriet who-is-at ukzn.ac.za>
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 08:57:15 PDT

thanks for your responses, Mike and Anton

I think I was trying to avoid criticism!

As a note, in South African's transition period we have become very sensitive to language issues )with 11 official languages this can be tricky!). One of the issues is how one refers to other languages whilst in one language. So, if writing in English, about the language of Zulu, we refer to isiZulu. When referring to a Zulu person, we say 'Zulu'.

So, my question was in a way about whether when referring to someone's name, which is essentially their name in another language, should you use that language to refer to it?
And what do people mean when they take out the 'y' in Leont'ev, or when they replace it with an 'i'?

I appreciate Anton's comments about the shift over time - use of language obviously has an historical dimension.

Mary

Mary van der Riet; School of Psychology; University of KwaZulu-Natal
Private Bag X01, Scottsville, 3209

email: vanderriet@ukzn.ac.za
tel: 033 260 6163; fax: 033 2605809

>>> Anton Yasnitsky <the_yasya@yahoo.com> 05/20/08 00:11 AM >>>
I am under the impression that "Leontiev" is increasingly getting
perceived as a standard spelling of the name in the recent publications,
whereas the other two occur in the older, mostly Soviet publications.
Perhaps, another reason for choosing "Leontiev" is that his (i.e. A.N.
Leontiev's) descendants prefer it, too...