Re: [xmca] a materialist *dialectical* psychology

From: Steve Gabosch <stevegabosch who-is-at mac.com>
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 01:36:57 PDT

Mabel adds some provocative ideas to this discussion of a materialist
psychology. One of them is stressed by Ilyenkov - it has often been
the idealists in history, not as often the materialists, who have
contributed the most penetrating insights into consciousness.

Certainly, a concrete psychology, a new general psychology, would seek
to draw on these achievements, albeit setting them "right side up" in
the process.

It would surprise me if Martin could offer convincing evidence that
Vygotsky really felt that "idealist psychology has nothing to
contribute to his new general psychology." (Maybe he can - I have
certainly not read everything Vygotsky wrote, not by a long shot). My
take from my present sense of Vygotsky is that formulation seems to
overstate the case, mixing together past and future aspects of the
issue in a way he would not.

I don't think Vygotsky meant to dismiss idealist psychology's past -
just challenge its future. And he **was** ruthless and uncompromising
about idealist psychology's future. I think Vygotsky was saying that
the materialist camp - and not some new, "third" camp - should become
the inheritors of the achievements of the idealists, and the
leadership of the new psychology he was seeking. He seemed to be
proposing a revolutionary overthrow, with the materialists in power
and the idealists deposed - not a grand compromise where the two camps
somehow merge, or a where a "third camp" emerges in the fray. I think
Martin correctly emphasizes this part of Vygotsky's views.

Keep in mind, by the way, that Vygotsky was writing in 1927 in the
USSR when he wrote his unpublished manuscript "Crisis" - he might have
a very different strategic outlook today about how the different camps
within psychology today are interacting - in the US, Europe, Asia, C
America, S America, Africa, Russia, or elsewhere - and how
revolutionary materialists ought to deal with today's realities.
Martin has correctly stressed that Vygotsky should not be taken out of
context, and this strategic commentary by Vygotsky pertaining to
trends within the USSR in the mid-1920's would be a very easy one to
do that with.

At the same time, we can learn a lot from Vygotsky's thinking process
in formulating these ideas. Martin has been gleaning some very
valuable insights, which I and I think many others have been learning
a lot from. My take, although I have not looked into "Crisis" nearly
as deeply and effectively as Martin has, is Vygotsky was arguing the
**ontological** outlook of the idealists had to be abandoned, and
therefore, he was saying that idealist-based psychology needs to be
"severed" from general psychology. On this, I believe Vygotsky was
uncompromising and revolutionary, in the tradition of Marx, Engels,
Lenin, and others.

But I have never seen Vygotsky suggest that the many discoveries,
observations and insights that idealists have developed over the
centuries should be tossed aside, that idealist psychology has
"nothing to contribute." My sense of Vygotsky is he would stress just
the opposite, in the same way Marx and Engels approached Hegel's
accomplishments and contributions. I think it is important to make a
strong point of this at the same time as the other, and I appreciate
Mabel bringing this side of the issue up.

(As for some of Mabel's ideas about a "unified" psychology, and a
psychology that is both "causal" and "teleological," I would need
more ... these are excellent topics for discussion ... perhaps Mabel,
you might toss us some thoughts sometime about how these ideas fit in
with your studies of Vygotsky and other cultural-historical theorists
on emotion ... ).

Best wishes,
- Steve