"Personality" vs "Identity" (was: [xmca] Word meanings making up "Personality")

From: Ng Foo Keong <lefouque who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Feb 24 2008 - 09:22:47 PST

hi everybody,

i'm a PhD student studying the development of mathematical "identity"
of a few volunteers using Anna Sfard's framework of identity as a
narrative that is RES (Reifying, Edorsable and Significant). Learning
here is defined as bridging the gap between /actual identity/ and
/designated identity/.

While we're on the topic, and since i have my head still full of
un-sorted-out concepts, i'd like to ask:
     how is "personality" different from "identity"?

Do you consider Erik Erikson's theory of identity "essentialist"? How
so? Doesn't Erikson's theory also allow for change and development in
people? i.e. it is not carved and
set in stone throughout a person's life, or is it?

Enlightenment from experts will be very much appreciated.

Foo Keong, PhD student
National Institute of Education, Singapore