Re: [xmca] Did the Butterfly Leave the Cocoon, and then what?

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Fri Feb 22 2008 - 14:28:51 PST

Martine-- Sorry to be obtuse. Trying for the opposite.
If LSV created a new psychology that did away with the two psychologies of
his predecessors, and did that not by superceding them, but by extinguishing
one of them entirely,
what is the evidence that he did so? everything he wrote?
Can't be. He disagreed with himself over time.

I was looking for a program of empirical research that met his criteria.
One. Not saying there are none. Just end up being lost as to which one(s)
fit the needed characteristics. For example ................................

It is the process of getting to nomothetic laws from individual cases that
I was worrying out, which is why I mentioned Luria romantic science
examples.

I get the part about nonothetic "of or relating to the study or discovery of
general scientific laws. Often contrasted with idiographic ." But generally
such laws are derived from regularities across many individual examples. My
understanding is that LSV methodology allowed him to derive or arrive at
general laws from study of individual cases. Again, how? What example?

Maybe I am simply stuck in a time warp.,
mike