Re: [xmca] neoformation

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 12:37:19 PST

Really interesting ideas and great pics.
Again, one point of agreement I think very important to the general
discussion of development ongoing here.

You write, David, that "But I don't think neoformations are ENTIRELY
cultural, because if that were true then NEW neoformations would not arise.
"

Working in a perspective that assumes the interanimation of phylogeny,
cultural history, and ontogency, this conclusion follows a almost an axiom.
I have to think more about the
"slash of light" as a neoformation in art, as you put it. One
thing this formulation does is to presume content/activity specificity of
the origins of change which is a point I have been pushing with indifferent
success here.
mike