Re: [xmca] Vygotsky and performance? Eisenstein, Meyerhold?

From: C Barker <C.Barker who-is-at mmu.ac.uk>
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 14:44:39 PST

Matt:

One writer who does suggest that the connection you make is a strong one is Nikolai
Veresov. He - like Bella Kotik - points out LSV's early involvements with the world of
theatre. And he suggests that key ideas in LSV's developmental theory draw on the language
and imagery of the Russian theatrical world in the early 1920s. I really admire his
papers, so this is an opportunity to let more people know about them.

You can see his ideas on this theme by visiting Nikolai's website:

Veresov, Nikolai. 2004. "Zone of proximal development (ZPD): the hidden dimension?" Pp.
1-30, in Sprak som kultur – brytningar I tid och rum. – Language as culture – tensions in
time and space. Vol. 1,, edited by A. Ostern and R. Heila-Ylikallio: Vasa; also available
on the web at http://nveresov.narod.ru/ZPD.pdf.

—. 2007. "Sign mediation: Magic triangle: sign-mediated action and behind." in ISCAR2007,
Fourth Nordic Conference on Cultural and Activity Research, June 15-17, Oslo; also
available on the web at http://nveresov.narod.ru/working.html.

Colin Barker

Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the Manchester
Metropolitan University's email disclaimer available on its website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer
>>> "Matt Ratto" <matt.ratto@gmail.com> 02/04/08 1:40 PM >>>
Hi all,

I'm a new subscriber to the list but some of you may know me. I did my
PhD in Communication at UC San Diego and often visited LCHC and talked
with Mike (Hi Mike!). I also spent a few months in Helsinki at the
Center for Activity Theory and Developmental Research with Yrjo
Engestrom and the great crew there.

I'm currently in Umea, Sweden and had a conversation a few weeks ago
with Victor Kaptelinin about a book I'm currently working on. He
recommended that I post to the list some of my questions about the
links between Vygotsky and performance. I've noted a number of
similarities between the theories of emotion and activity in Vygotsky
and those in the performance theories of Meyerhold. (Basically, that
emotion is embedded in activity, rather that prior to it.) Has anyone
written on these connections, or connections between Vygotsky, Luria,
Leon'tev and contemporary theater or dance?

I hope you don't mind a newbie posting a question!

best,

Matt

--
Matt Ratto