Re: [xmca] ego, self, etc.

From: Martin Packer <packer who-is-at duq.edu>
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 12:37:10 PST

Paul,

Yes, each step in the education of consciousness can only be accomplished in
relation with others, and/or in societal institutions. The master/slave
dialectic has certainly been one of the most influential of Hegel's
contributions, and I'm sure Bourdieu had it in mind.

I'm especially partial to those analyses of this part of Hegel's
phenomenology that view it not simply as the stage where a person becomes
self-aware, but the stage where something we can call a self is *created*
for the first time.

What influence do you think this had on Vygotsky? His 'Educational
Psychology' contains much reference to the importance of interpersonal
conflict in development. Elsewhere too?

I've explored this somewhat in a paper: Packer, M. J., & Goicoechea, J.
(2000). Sociocultural and constructivist theories of learning: Ontology, not
just epistemology. Educational Psychologist, 35(4), 227-241.

Martin