RE: [xmca] Once Again, Learning and Development!

From: Peg Griffin <Peg.Griffin who-is-at worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon Jan 21 2008 - 06:37:52 PST

Regarding Andy Blunden's use of the phrase "stage of development ...
attained:"
There's something that interests many of us because it helps to distinguish
socio-historical and cultural-historical work from that of Piaget and
others: To understand children's changes the view from our perspective is
not so much about individual, internal, stage-like leaps that are almost
inevitable. Socio-cultural activity, interactions, artifacts and
institutions (that are mutually constitutive with individual change) come to
the fore. Any observations that could serve as evidence of the child
attaining a stage are seldom seen. Things like Piaget's "decalage" (vertical
or horizontal) become more the rule than the exception.
PG