Re: [xmca] Once Again, Learning and Development!

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 10:37:03 PST

Andy, David, Mark, Elina, and Pegetal too!

David wrote: (This is ANOTHER issue from Vol. 5 I forgot to include):
Central functions and peripheral functions. Mike also talks about this in
his LCHC-Centre for Activity Research on-line presentation. I guess I
thought that in my data we can see a situation where UNDERSTANDING is the
central function (comprehension) and EXPRESSION is peripheral turn into a
situation where EXPRESSION is central (role play) and comprehension is
subordinated to expression (in time as well as importance).

How faithfully, from your perspective, does the Marx quotation below capture
what LSV was talking about? Does David's understanding-->expression example
exemplify for all what LSV (Marx?) was referring to? Is the example
developmental? Is comprehension subordinated to expression a "higher level"
in some circumstances than others? How do we we think of the example in
terms such as
"leading activity."
mike