Re: [xmca] Re-cycling the idea of a collaborative papers

From: Elina Lampert-Shepel <ellampert who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Jan 19 2008 - 20:55:53 PST

I had no intention to stir any either/or thinking... I agree, there should
be no false dichotomies. As for El'konin-Davydov curriculum and development
as a subject of learning activity, there are definitely a lot of
publications, including even publications from Kharkov laboratory ( See
Lampert -Shepel, E. (September-October, 2003) (Ed.) Learning Activity. *Journal
of Russian and East European Psychology, *41(4)). galina tsukerman has a
fantastic book 'Types of communication ( interaction) in teaching and
learning [obuchenii]", sorry I do not remeber the exact translation of this
book's title into English. The title reminds Davydov's book " Types of
generalizations in teaching and learning"

In my previous e-mail I was questioning the existence of studies addressing
the claim of direct transfer of the abilities developed in the course of
quasi-research/learning activity/inquiry to other spheres of life including
moral and ethical decision-making, emotional and social development, etc. We
had long conversations with Davydov, Repkin, Galina Tsukerman and others on
this issue and there were numerous observations that children educated in
the school laboratories ( E-D curriculum) were active learners, questioning
the status quo, capable to work collaboratively, comfortable with
uncertainty, skilled to conceptualize the unknown areas of study, quite
comfortably ascending from abstract to concrete...:-) Daniil Elkonin in his
scientific diaries argues that each 'neoformation' developed in the course
of becoming a subject of leading activity transforms the system of
relationships among previously internalized 'neoformations', and such
transformation is qualitative. For example, mastery of theoretical thinking
during the learning activity thansforms the
previously internalized 'imagination.' If anyone knows specific studies
addressing this issue, I would highly appreciate the references.

Anyway, from the previously expressed suggestions and contexts of learning
here are some possibilities to collaboratively explore development/learning;

1. Cross-cultural perspective/ conceptualizing tendencies and meanings in
development/learning. What are cross-cultural tendencies in
development/learning emerging from practicing various Vygotsky's inspired
teaching/research/play/work? ( San Diego, Helsinki, Seoul, New York, Moscow,
...other? or virtual cultures/contexts of being?)

2. Teaching and learning in CHAT tradition and life-long learning. ( i was
excited with the concept in Russia, but English word makes me
depressed...life-long learning sounds as sentence in court...sorry,
reflection on the side)

3. David's idea of new data and old masters, i.e. questioning/critical
analysis/ development of foundational ideas of development and learning (
CHAT) with new data and new perspectives.

4. "Virtually there..." , collaborations in time and space, new forms of
co-being and their impact on the course of learning and development...

5. other?

These are just a few thoughts that I irresponsibly suggest...use or discard
if they are out of the context of your thinking...
Elina