Re: [xmca] A Culture of Safety at Work

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 00:22:28 PST

Gary Fine's paper may serve to show why I have emphasised the role of
"material culture," that is to say the mass of artefacts, in the formation
of activity and consciousness. I am certainly not criticising the findings
of this paper, which are extremely interesting, just its methodological
self-description.

Fine uses the word "culture" in the usual sense derived from anthropology,
and "idioculture" is a neolog using "idio-" in the sense of "idiom," that
is idiosyncratic, local culture. The question, from whence does this
idioculture arise and how is it sustained?

In the opening section of the paper, Fine says that:

           "Cultures are ultimately grounded in interaction."

which is the axiomatics of what is now known as "intersubjectivity" and so
far as I can see dominates sociology and social philosophy, at least in the
US. He goes on:

           "It is essential to conceptualise culture as grounded in
           interaction ... through focus on a group's idioculture,
           a system of meaning that arises from and contributes
           to group dynamics. ... Idioculture, as used here, signifies
           a system of knowledge, beliefs,. behaviours, and customs,
           shared by members of an interacting group to which members
           can refer and serves as the basis for further interaction."

and

           "Group culture incorporates traditions and routine
           practices, that is tied to background knowledge, common
           values, group goals, and status systems ... but also
           serves as a space in which new _cultural items_ are
           created that complement previous traditions."

He does not explain what is meant by "cultural items," only "moral tales"
are mentioned at this point, and it has to be said that in this
methodological introduction this is the only mention of "material culture"
or artefacts.

But when we move on to the substance of the research we find that the
following are used by people to create and maintain the relevant idioculture:

               * Nicknames
               * a food store for shared snacks
               * a staff member's dog
               * "public" computer passwords
               * selected ambient music from the radio
               * the title "Doctor"
               * laughter
               * magazine pages on science stuck to the wall
               * a staff member's garage and a microwave
               * a scorched rabbit named Sparky
               * NCPR business cards
               * a "training video"
               * a "mad scientist" web page
               * a collection plate
               * altered lettering on the building's name plate
               * monocles and black-rimmed glasses
               * a fish belonging to a female employee,
                 - referred to as a "boundary object"
               * electrodes placed in this fish tank
              * the locality in which the office is located
               * the warning and reports issued by the office, including
                   their size and the statistics of their accuracy
               * the spatial layout of the offices, windows, etc.

That is, a whole host of artefacts, all with publicly available meaning,
are used by the individuals involved, together with the idiosyncratic
interpretations and usages to which the artefacts are subject, in order to
create and sustain the idiocultural consciousness and activity.

The writer then concludes with some further methodological remarks on the
work of George Simmel.

           "... culture is not merely a set of collective
           representations, but an enactment based on social
           coordination. For Simmel and the small group
           tradition, culture is always grounded in action.
           ... the Symbolic Interactionist tradition
           proposes that culture derives from the active
           creation of meaning and interpretations by social
           actors. ... Groups ... are arenas of action,
           incorporating situated meaning, embodies action
           and the power of copresence."

Now what is remarkable is that in his methodological introduction, Fine
claims that culture is created by interaction and there is virtually no
mention of the use of material culture or symbols. This is in complete
contrast with the body of the research where it turns out that the
participants in these group cultures use 22 distinct material artefacts not
to mention the normal spoken words and gestures which constitute so much of
any culture.

The body of the research is really interesting and would be of immediate
interest to anyone in the CHAT tradition, drawing attention, as it does to
the creation, use and redeployment of so many "tools-in-use" )symbols,
artefacts, signs or material culture or whatever you want to call them).

The concluding methodological reflections cite _Symbolic Interactionism_
without any attention being given to the central idea of Symbolic
Interactionism, originating from the work of GH Mead, that individuals draw
upon a repertoire of publicly available, symbols which are subject to
differing interpretation in the course of use.

The quote that Steve Gabosch has drawn off the internet accurately
represents what Fine has done in the body of this research, viz.:

          "... the meanings of cultural items in a small
           group must be considered in order to comprehend
           their continued existence as communication. ...
          "Cultural forms may be created and continue
           to be utilized in situations if they are
               * known to members of the interacting group,
               * usable in the course of group interaction,
               * functional in supporting group goals and individual needs,
               * appropriate in supporting the status hierarchy of the
group, and
               * triggered by events which occur in group interaction.
          "These elements have impact only through the
           interpretations of group members of their situations."

So Fine does excellent research, but when he describes his own methodology
he omits the role of "material culture" - what he calls "cultural items" or
we would call "artefacts" which are in fact and in the view of others
describing Fine's work of central importance.

So when we move to Helena's issue of the "culture of safety" this is not a
secondary question which can be glided over - these "cultural items" may
be dangerous machinery or warning signs which can be either ignored or
taken note of with severe consequences. It is to a large extent only the
material culture which managers and owners have direct control over, and
management relies on the manipulation of material culture in order to
control the activity of workers.

On the other hand, as Steve pointed out, when unions are removed from the
picture, and workers lose power, and the power of workers to subject
written procedures to their own independent interpretation is reduced, a
loss of safe practice results. Fine's article also reflected the fact that
independence and social power allows people to subject the material culture
to their own interpretation and control social practices accordingly.

So the question of how "cultural items" or "material culture" used in
social practice (and not just interaction!) are effective or not in
contributing to the regulation of social practices is absolutely central,
and must be made explicit in our methodology. If the "cultural items" (such
as a dangerous machine or a guard rail or a warning sign) are to be taken
for granted, as if they contained nothing other than what the partners to
an interaction take them to mean, then we are sorely mistaken. The meaning
and material impact of a cultural product is subject to contestation, and
it carries quite objective affordances and constraints.

So, let's all agree that Gary Fine's paper is really interesting and good
research, but if his work is to be replicated, recognition has to be given
to the materiality of the culture.

  Andy

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435,
mobile 0409 358 651