Re: [xmca] LV Quote on the importance of meaningful work in learning and development

From: bella kotik <bella.kotik who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jan 11 2008 - 09:54:41 PST

Hi, Debora!
Before I can find a relevant LV's passage, I recall seemingly relevant
discussion of A.N. Leontjev. I can not give you exact citation in English
because I use Russian edition of "Activity, Consciousness, Personality"
pp.293-295.
He describes observation of activities of children involved in development
of aeroplane models. They liked to construct, but escaped lessons on theory
until at a competition they've seen that some planes fly long distance, some
fall immediately. When they asked their teacher :"Why?", he invited them to
learn the rules of aerodynamics and they enthusiastically started to learn,
because then the theory was meaningful for them.
Bella Kotik-Friedgut